- 1 standing rib roast (3 bones),
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Assorted dry herbs (optional)
1. Using sharp knife, cut slits in the top layer of fat, about 1 inch apart, in crosshatch pattern, being careful not to cut down into the meat. Rub with 2 tbsp of salt and push into cuts in fat. If possible let it sit uncovered in the fridge 24 hours.
2. Heat oven to 450 degree , rub meat with veg oil and season with pepper & herb. Sear meat for 15 minutes then reduce temp to 325 degree
3. Roast until meat registers 110 degrees (meat will continue to cook)
4. Turn off oven; leave roast in oven, opening door as little as possible, until meat registers about 120 degrees for rare or about 125 degrees for medium-rare.
5. Transfer roast to carving board; cut twine and remove roast from ribs. Slice meat into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Season with coarse salt to taste, and serve with horseradish or your favourite gravy.