For the cake
- 2 1/4 sticks plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups Guinness
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the frosting
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups cream cheese (not low-fat)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom of a 12-inch round springform pan with parchment paper.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted, add Guinness and cocoa and remove from heat
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and buttermilk, and then slowly mix in the Guinness mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a separate large bowl, slowly mix the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and keep beating until it is all well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes. Test to make sure the cake is cooked by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake—if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Let cool in the pan, then transfer from the pan onto a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting: In electric mixer, blend all the ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- Place the cooled cake on a plate and generously spread the frosting on top.
Please follow and like us: