· 1 onion, diced
· 1 sweet potatoes, diced
· 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
· 3 – 4 chopped garlic cloves
· 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
· ½ teaspoon black pepper
· 3 tablespoons chili powder
· 3 teaspoons cumin
· 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
· 4 cups chicken stock (One tetra pack is almost enough, just add a bit of water)
· 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
· 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans or chick peas, drained and rinsed
· 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 cups corn kernels
· 1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes (they really have the best flavor) broken up with a spoon or your hand
· 2 tablespoons tomato paste
· 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
· Garnish with avocado, lime, grated cheese and sour cream
1. In a large pot over medium heat, sauté diced onion in about 2 teaspoons oil until translucent and soft add garlic, tomato paste and diced sweet potato, and spices (all are optional). Sauté another minute
2. Add canned tomatoes, Worcestershire and chicken stock, bring mixture to a low boil on medium high heat, add quinoa and maple syrup cover and cook for 30 minutes on low.
3. Add canned beans and corn, taste and add more seasonings as needed.
**As with all chili and soup recipes, this is best when prepared several hours ahead so that the flavours can really shine.
Serve with fresh cilantro, lime juice, avocado, chips, sour cream and/or cheese, as preferred.