· 3 1/2 cups ground almond meal
· 2 eggs
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· Finely grated peel of one lemon
· 1 teaspoon instant espresso or coffee granules
· 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
· ½ teaspoon almond extract
· ½ cup granulated sugar (for rolling cookies)
· Whole blanched almonds or coffee beans for cookie centre
· In a mixer bowl with paddle beat eggs and 1 ½ cups sugar for a few minutes until batter is light and fluffy. Add lemon peel, instant espresso, cocoa, almond extract and ground almonds until well blended.
· Roll batter into one-inch balls. Place remaining ½ cup of sugar in a small bowls and roll each ball in the sugar, push in an almond in centre.
· Chill overnight
· Preheat oven to 350*, bake for 10 minutes or until golden, remove and cool on wire rack. They freeze beautifully and stay moist and chewy.